The joy cannot ever compare to witness my children as they grow and mature. I enjoy motherhood so much and everyday feels so rewarding that another year has passed before I know it.
I just noticed I have been breastfeeding full time for a year now. It might sound shallow, I really consider that as a big achievement. I really enjoy that bonding time with my baby. Maybe because I was not able to breastfeed my eldest (who is 7 years old now) for more than three months because I was working that time and I was too thin that I thought I cannot keep up breastfeeding while working at the same time. I just wish I had the knowledge that time of how the baby benefits from breast milk. I was envy with moms who can breastfeed their babies why I told myself that I will see to it that my second son is going to be breastfed.
Thanks to my pedia that I have become educated that breastmilk has so many health benefits for my baby.
If I am to compare my formula fed son (eldest) to my breastfed son (youngest) in terms of the health problems they have encountered during their first years, here is the comparison.
Here are some benefits of breastfeeding:
- Low risk of health infections or getting sick.
- Strengthens immune system.
- It benefits your baby's IQ.
- Reduces the incidence or severity of diseases such as diarrhea, lower respiratory infections, ear infections and urinary tract infections.
- It's way cheaper than buying formula.
- Helps avoid medical bills later because it helps equip the baby to fight off disease and infection.
Breastfeeding also has a health benefit for mothers.Mothers who breastfeed are
- less likely to develop osteoporosis
- are able to lose weight gained during pregnancy more easily
- lower risk of breast, uterine and ovarian cancer
Breastfeeding has so much benefits for moms and babies. My sisters and sister in law breastfeed their babies, too.